Why Uniforms Are So Important in the Workplace
Work uniforms have become the rule rather than the exception among American businesses in recent years. Today, more than 32 million Americans have to wear uniforms to work, and those numbers grow yearly. In most cases, the decision to require employees to wear a uniform is an easy one based on the industry.
For example, employees of restaurants and retail stores commonly have uniforms to distinguish themselves from customers. However, many staff members in offices do not, depending on the type of office.
Despite this, custom corporate uniforms for office workers, and safety uniforms in the workplace for staff involved in hazardous tasks, still offer a wide range of benefits.There are many reasons for managing staff to choose uniforms for their employees, but one of the most important reasons why uniforms are good is undoubtedly the uniform branding impact.
Employees in uniform project a professional image to customers and make your company look good. Workplace uniform importance can also be attributed to the following advantages:
- Clean, crisp uniforms promote a brand. These uniforms show everyone your company’s standards and values, in a way. The uniforms and attitude of the employees will be the determining factor of whether or not the customer does repeat business with you. The uniforms help promote customer loyalty.
- Uniforms engage customers. When potential customers walk into a building and see employees sitting around in jeans and t-shirts, they might think twice about bringing their business to a place where employees and management do not take their jobs seriously. On the other hand, if employees are dressed in clean uniforms and look busy, customers feel more comfortable bringing their business there.
- Uniforms help employees to feel part of the same team. Employees might have a hard time identifying with other employees, especially when some are dressed better than others. When the playing field is level, employees can feel at ease with each other and function as a true team, instead of individuals.
- Uniform colors can set the mood of the organization. If management chooses the color of their uniforms carefully, they can energize customers. Businesses where the mood is energetic need to have bright uniforms that make both the employees and customers feel energized. Controlling the mood helps businesses to both sell and promote their products.
- Uniforms keep your employees safe. Company-issued clothing, like hard hats or non-slip shoes, protects workers from injuries on the job. This improves your brand reputation while helping you cut down on work-related injuries and the disruption, trauma, and cost they are associated with.
You get what you pay for, so avoid cheap uniforms. You do not want the customers to think that your business is cutting corners, or that your products are cheap. Therefore, you need to make sure the uniforms are high quality.
The uniform reflects the corporate identity of your industry, but, at the same time, it has to be practical. You want your employees to be comfortable and able to move in the uniforms you select. Depending on the industry, the uniforms need to be durable, easy to clean, and attractive. Customers should feel that your employees look professional and that they know what they are doing. Wearing distinguishable uniforms helps customers trust the company and the workmanship of their products.
For many newer companies, purchasing uniforms for employees can be a significant drain on their yearly budget. Beyond that, even big businesses are moving away from purchasing uniforms, as the constant procurement and thus manufacturing for new uniforms as employees are hired or let go can have a negative impact on the environment and your bottom line.
Uniform laundering and rental programs are a great way to cut down on your costs and footprint. By partnering with a uniform services company like Prudential Overall Supply, you can take advantage of all the employee uniform benefits above, without actually buying them yourself.
At Prudential, we provide a range of rental work uniforms to companies in the automotive, food processing, medical, scientific, and manufacturing industries. Our uniform rental service is tailored to your specific needs and ensures your workers are always wearing clean, appropriate clothing that is well-maintained.
We also offer our clients uniform customization and branding services, so your staff can look and feel like a cohesive team, while presenting a professional image to customers and while representing your brand.